Wednesday 21 September 2011

Moving To Milan


We're halfway through our month of Spring Summer 2012 shows now, and just as London ends, my favourite (well after London obvs..) begins.  Today see's the beginning of Milan Fashion Week.  This is one of my favourites for the nostalgia it brings me.  Not because I have ever been to Milan or have any sentimental reasons, but simply because of my memories of the brands that are being shown there.

Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows how close I am to my big sister Sam (literally I write this with aching hands as I have just spent 50 minutes massaging her shoulders and arms).  Sam moved away before I was even ten, so I don't have as many memories with her as I do my brothers, however few of those that I do have centre around her clothes.

You look at her now, all sophisticated and elegant, but back then she was into Jungle music and used to go to raves with friends, she wore what I remember her referring to as 'crazy mosh' clothing (what I now know to be Moschino) and always had wacky trousers in bright colours.  Even then I remember sneaking into her room and putting on her jackets when she was at work, and whilst fashion then was very different to what it is now, she was still way ahead of the trends.

When I was about 11 she came down with a bag of hand me downs for me.  My first Versace trousers! They were an aqua blue colour, with bright pink flowers and a cheetah print.  I remember I would wear them with a white cotton Armani top she gave me, but wear the top so that the badge of the jeans would show.  This was over a decade ago, so I'm not too proud to admit that, but it is a happy memory for some reason, and even then all I wanted was to be like my big sister.

For this reason I look forward to Milan Fashion Week, I love seeing what the likes of Versace, Gucci and Moschino come up with as whilst they might not be as popular as they have been previously, I kind of feel like they are brands that have grown up with me and my sister, and like us, have evolved into much better versions of their younger selves.

My top shows to watch...

Wednesday 21st September
Gucci - 14.00
Alberta Ferretti - 17.00

Thursday 22nd September
D&G - 14.00
Prada - 18.00

Friday 23rd September
Moschino - 9.30
Iceberg - 15.00
Versace - 19.00

Saturday 24th September
Emporio Armani - 10.30
Emilio Pucci - 20.00
Moschino Cheap & Chic - 20.30

Sunday 25th September
Dolce & Gabbana - 14.00
Versus - 20.30

Monday 26th September
Giorgio Armani - 10.30