Monday 6 February 2012

Fashion Faux Pas: Men in Uggs = Muggs

As much as we might be a nation addicted to reality TV, that doesn't mean it's good for us.  I know plenty of my friends claim they hate shows such as 'The Only Way is Essex' and 'Made in Chelsea' only to record it any watch it when they think they're safe or claim them their girlfriends 'make them watch it'.

Obviously being a massive fan of Laguna, The Hills, The City and Keeping Up With The Kardashians, I was never going to be able to stop myself watching the UK versions, but believe me I tried.  Despite living near Manchester, I am not a fan of the northern shows like Geordie Shore and Desperate Scouswives, but if you read my blog regularly you'll know that I do love Towie and MIC.

I think I am right in saying that Joey Essex is most people's favourite characters and whats not to love? He's thick, cute and funny and his fashion sense is, well let's just say out there.  This is the guy that on last night's episode was seen out in public donning a personalized onesie.  He went to a black tie even in a turtle neck, constantly wears man bags and let's not even go there with his desire to wear trainers two sizes to small.  His biggest fashion faux pas? Those orange UGG's (see photo above).



Now whilst these bizarre fashion choices might be great for his TV personality (remember if they don't somehow get publicity they don't stay on the show) they aren't for your average male.  When we see Joey in these boots and fire off tweets so much that it begins to trend, it isn't because we think they look good, it's because we are laughing at Joey and his stupid choices, which is all good and well because that's the reason he wears them.

After a friends recent decision to don his girlfriends pair (yes this is the same guy who still lives in 2008 with his plain cardigan and tee's) I decided it was time to speak up.  We shouldn't be doing something just because it is deemed ok by mindless celebrities.  I've searched various forums and other blogs for opinions on the subject.  Men in Ugg boots are determined either gay, or uber chavs.  Ugg's are a fashion statement for woman, because we're sick of wearing heels day in day out, guys you can wear trainers to a club for crying out loads so what is your excuse?  You've stolen our make up, bags and hair products to often and it is time to man up.

If you insist on taking fashion advice from someone like Joey?  Well then you are obviously as dumb as he looks.