Tuesday 1 January 2013

Style Resoloutions


Every year when asked the majority of the population give the same answer regarding their New Years Resolutions. Generic things such as diet, go to the gym, give up smoking, drink less. These aren't just small changes, they're big lifestyle changes, things that should be done gradually and by using them as resolutions you are only putting more unnecessary pressure on yourself, therefore creating stress and probably leading you back to the very thing you are trying to quit.

This year, I've decided to keep it simple, and considering my industry is fashion, I've come up with 10 small style resolutions that will not only be more achievable, but will also make me feel a hell of a lot better about myself.



1. Stop picking my nail varnish - most people try not to bite their nails, if I can just avoid picking off the varnish then I'd have no desire to bite the nail!

2. Stop buying random nail varnish - I must have over 100 pots now including everything from Chanel to Barry M! Whilst I'll admit that my nails are my pride and joy, my purchasing is becoming a little obsessive.

3. Spend that little bit extra on decent footwear as opposed to forever buying ballerina flats and velvet slippers, I've been through around 7 pairs this year alone.

4. Take the shoes I did spend extra on to a cobbler before I have worn them into the ground and they are actually beyond repair
 
 

5. Use Dry Shampoo - I know I'm not alone in being one of those who washes their hair every other day. My hairdresser is forever reprimanding me.

6. Learn how to do my hair - I'm terrible for simply getting up and shoving my hair in a pony tail, I moan about celebs perfect hair but in reality make no effort with my own



7. Being a student, I always opt for high street jeans such as those from Topshop, thinking I'm saving myself money. In reality, these jeans always end up baggy round my knees and bum! This year I'm just going to save myself the hassle and invest in a pair of Paige jeans. The fit is brilliant for my shape, the colour lasts and the styles offered are always on trend.

8. Again, being in the fashion industry, I am prone to those buys that whilst a good idea at the time are in reality a waste of my money. I'm 23 and about to graduate, it's time to start saving my money and building up my staple wardrobe. I need a pair of Louboutins and a Prada bag in my life. A white Moschino shirt would be good too, and a Burberry Mac.....you get the idea!

9. Dress for my shape. Despite studying fashion and starting a career in the industry, I still have a habit of buying into trends that I like despite them not suiting me. Case in point - long flowing maxi skirts. I've a curvy figure but long legs. Ideally I should be wearing skinny fit jeans as opposed to skirts that I love that make me look about as good as an oompa loompa at a tea dance.

10. Finally and perhaps most importantly - maintain a beauty regime! This is one I always start at the beginning if the year but never keep up with. I am terrible for sleeping in my make up and not moisturising properly. I don't want to get to 30 and have to do a Jackie Stallone!